Telegram is an Instant Messaging, a cloud-based social media app whose popularity has been on the rise recently due to its features. There’s a lot more you can do with Telegram Privacy features than its rival Whatsapp and other IM apps.
With over 1 Billion downloads globally and over 500 million active users, the platform has increasingly taken a market share of the rival messaging app from Facebook, and Whatsapp.
There are many reasons why you may decide to delete a Telegram account i.e social media break, dopamine detox, privacy issues, and many more.
In this article, I will walk you through the steps on how to delete a Telegram account permanently and instantly, and how to back up your helpful information so that you do not lose vital information.
Let’s get started!
What Happens If You Delete Your Telegram Account?
First off, before starting the process of cancelling your account, you should know that the action can not be undone.
It will lead to the deletion of your information from your phone including, chats, documents, audio, or video.
So before you think of deactivating your Telegram account, you may have some valuable information you want to keep.
I’ll walk you through the process of how to back up this information to avoid losing your vital stuff like pictures, videos, documents e.t.c
This feature of backing up Telegram data is readily accessible on Telegram Desktop as Export Telegram Data.
How To backup/ Export chats on Telegram Desktop?
- Tap on the Menu button (Three horizontal buttons on the left).
- Click on Settings.
- Tap on Advanced.
- Under the section, “Data and Storage“
- Click Export Telegram Data.
- The Telegram app will display a checklist menu to choose which data you would like to backup/export.
- Chose the information you want to export by ticking the checkboxes.
- At the end of the menu, choose the format in which you would like to save your data, i.e.; either HTML or JSON format.
- Click Export to back up your Telegram information.
Now that you have backed up your Telegram data, let’s move on to see the procedure on how to delete your account.
This can be done in two ways which are going to be discussed in this tutorial;
- Automatic Self-destruction/ Automatic Deletion.
- Manual Deletion.
Method 1: Auto-Self Destruct.
How to permanently delete a Telegram account on Android. (Auto Self Destruct).
- Open your Telegram app.
- Head to Settings.
- Tap on Privacy and Security.
- Scroll to the Delete My Account section.
- Tap the option of “If away for”
- Chose a period after when you wish your account to automatically self-destruct.
Note: Different periods are shown, such as 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, and 1 year.
These periods show after what time (when you are inactive) you wish your telegram account to be deleted. During this time ensure not to carry out any activity with your Telegram account in order to deactivate it in the specified period you chose.
You can choose the shortest period, which is one month. This means that after one month of inactivity on your Telegram account, it will automatically be deleted.
Also Check Out: Airtel APN Internet Settings
However, you might want to deactivate your telegram account instantly without the need to wait for about a month.
If you are of a kind, the manual method on works instantly;
Method 2: Manual Deletion
How to instantly deactivate/ delete A Telegram account via a browser (mobile/desktop).
To continue with this method, you will need to use a browser on either your mobile or desktop. You can use any browser of your choice such as Chrome, Mozilla, Opera, or any browser of your choice.
By using this method, your account is cancelled instantly without having to wait as it is in the default Telegram Automatic Self-destruction method.
During the process, Telegram will send you a confirmation SMS code in order to complete the process.
- Head to the Telegram Deactivation Page.
- Fill in your phone number (starting with your country code).
- Telegram will send a confirmation code to your Telegram account chat.
- Insert the confirmation code sent.
- On the next screen, you can insert the reason why you are leaving the platform(optional).
- Click Delete My Account tab.
- A confirmation screen will pop up, click on ‘Yes, delete my account” to confirm the process.
- Telegram will now cancel and deactivate your account permanently and instantly.
Note: This process is irreversible, after deactivating your account it will take you several days before re-registering back on the Telegram platform.
Summing up, I have specified the two ways to delete a Telegram account both permanently and instantly.
After deactivating your account, your chats, videos, and photos will be lost, and your account will be removed from all channels and groups you had joined previously.
Take caution to first back up any important information as prescribed in the procedure above.
The only way to get back is by creating a new Telegram account (after several days), and this will start afresh.
What are your thoughts about the Auto-self destruction method or the manual method of deletion?
What is the more straightforward method of the two? Let me know in the comment section and share the post to help others find trouble.
Follow workaguide on Twitter and all social media platforms so that you do not miss out on the latest content!