With more than 60 million active monthly users, Canva is one of the most popular design apps. It is popular for its ease of use (drag and drop), and plenty of resources, templates, and elements for the creation of not only beautiful and professional designs.
Are you wondering how to group elements in Canva?
Grouping elements in Canva such as images, text, gifs, stickers, shapes, etc. serves many purposes. It helps you effectively manage your design elements such as re-sizing, moving, merging, etc. In this article, you will find out how to group elements in Canva temporarily and permanently using both a mouse and a keyboard on all devices such as android, iOS/iPhone, Windows, or macOS.
Let’s dive right in!
Read my Full Canva Review here
Before you get started with grouping elements on Canva, you need to select them and have them in place.
How To Select Multiple Elements For Grouping
Before grouping elements in Canva, they must be selected.
- With the elements, you want to merge in place, hold the LEFT click button on your mouse and drag over the elements you want to group to highlight them. Alternatively, while holding the SHIFT button on the keyboard, click on the elements you wish to group.
- You will notice a dotted border around the objects you have highlighted.
At this point, the elements have only been selected and grouped temporarily. You then need to take a further step to group them permanently.
How To Group Elements in Canva
Group Elements in Canva Using a Mouse
- Now that you have selected the items you want to group, head to the Toolbar.
- Click the three-dot button and select Group.
- Similarly, you can RIGHT-click on the selected elements, a menu will appear, and choose Group from the list.
Your elements have now been merged.
Group Elements Using a Keyboard
To group elements in Canva using a keyboard;
- LEFT click on an object. Press and hold down the SHIFT button. While holding down the SHIFT button, continue selecting more objects that you want to be grouped.
- After selecting the items you want to group, a solid and dotted blue line will appear around the objects you selected.
- You will then have to apply keyboard shortcuts to Group the items using a keyboard.
The keyboard shortcuts for grouping are;
- Ctrl + G for Windows
- Command + G for Mac
Select the elements you want to group with a mouse and apply any of the above shortcuts depending on your device’s type. (Windows or macOS)
Group Elements in Canva on Android and iOS/iPhone
Touch and hold down on an element until you see the one-element selected message. Continue tapping on other elements that you want to group to select them.
Hit the Done button in the pop-up message.
Group Text In Canva
- To group text, hold down the SHIFT button and click on all the text boxes that you want to group, or drag the mouse over the text to highlight the text.
- A dotted border will appear around the selected text.
- Head to the top right corner of the toolbar, Click Group OR Press Ctrl + G (Windows)/ Cmd + G (macOS) on your keyboard and the text will be grouped.
- You can also RIGHT-click on the selected text, and a menu will appear, choose Group.
How To Ungroup Elements in Canva
If you have successfully grouped the elements, then ungrouping is somewhat simple.
Since the grouped elements have become one element, all you need to do is select the grouped element.
Head to the toolbar. Tap the three-button icon. Select the option of Ungroup. The elements will now be detached.
You can also right-click on the grouped element, and a menu will appear, choose Ungroup. The elements will be detached.
The keyboard shortcuts to ungroup elements are;
- Ctrl + SHIFT + G
- Cmd + SHIFT + G
Select the grouped element and apply any of the above shortcuts depending on your device, i.e. (Windows or macOS). The elements will be ungrouped.
Upgrade your subscription with Canva to access next-level design features and resources.
I use Canva Pro to design various graphics I include in my articles and social media posts for this site and make presentation videos professionally.
You get access to a wider range of resources and templates in the premium subscription. A background remover, re-size option, brand color palette customization, premium fronts, and a content planner for social media.
One of the most effective blogging tools I use has skyrocketed my productivity and my site’s visuals.
Canva Pro plan starts at 12.99$ per month
Frequently Asked Questions
What does Group mean in Canva?
The group function in Canva is a feature that helps you join more than one element together as one element.
How do you select and group elements in Canva?
With the elements, you want to merge in place, hold the (LEFT) click button on your mouse and drag over the elements you want to group to highlight them.
You will notice a dotted border around the objects you have highlighted.
At this point, the elements have only been grouped temporarily.
To group them permanently, head to the toolbar and select Group. Your elements will be grouped.
How do I select multiple elements in the Canva app
To select multiple elements in the Canva app, touch and hold an element until you see the one element selected message. Proceed to tap on other elements to select them.
How do I copy multiple elements in Canva?
After selecting multiple elements, head to the toolbar in the top right corner and select the Duplicate button. You can select multiple elements and use the keyboard shortcut of Copy (Ctrl + C), proceed to where you want to copy the elements, and Paste by using the (Ctrl + V) buttons.
How do I merge into Canva?
To merge in Canva, hold the (LEFT) click the button on your mouse and drag over the elements you want to merge to highlight them.
A dotted border will appear around the elements.
To merge them permanently, head to the toolbar; select Group in the top right corner. Your elements will be merged.
Where is the group button in Canva?
The group button in Canva is located above the editor in the toolbar. After selecting multiple elements, head to the top right corner of the toolbar. Click the three-dot button, and a menu will appear with the Group button.
How do you flip a grouped element in Canva?
To flip a grouped element in Canva, click the element you want to flip. In the top toolbar, click on Flip.
Click on Flip horizontal to flip it sideways, or Flip vertical to flip it upside down
In this article, I have discussed how to merge or group elements in Canva.
I hope you found this article useful. Kindly share the post to spread the knowledge!
If you face any issues along the process, let me know in the comment section. I will be glad to reach out.